As Soon As You Start to Pull Away – Travis Tickel – EP 87
This was the first podcast Travis Tickel had ever been a guest on and I have to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect, after he reached out.
This turn out to be a great interview and boy am I glad we did it!
Like this podcast, Travis is doing his part to “Turn cops into people”, through his social media.
He talks about the flack he gets from trolls and other officers about doing so.
Travis opened up and shared a story about his past, that he says, he had never shared before.
ABOUT TRAVIS TICKEL
- 3.5 Years In LE
FOLLOW TRAVIS TICKEL
[02:21] Lead Off Question – “Why Law Enforcement?” Travis shares that after doing a ride-a-long after getting out of the military, he knew that law enforcement was what he wanted to do.
[14:55] Dig Deeper – This is the part of the podcast were I dig into the guest's social media and I craft questions around 3-5 of those posts.
IG POST – Pic of you and your Family:
“If you don't know, posting yourself in uniform is sometimes looked at by other LEOs as a bad thing. I've received a ton of hate and or backlash from being “open” or “out there” on social media.
My belief is this… why hide? why not be in the community why not show that you are a regular person with a regular life and not just “robocop.” in my opinion, THIS is how we #buildbridges
Disclaimer: Do whatever you want to do, post or don't post. hide or don't hide… its your life, live it.”
- What kind of backlash have you received and from whom?
Kids & fatherhood
- Would you want your kids to get into LE?
- How was your relationship with your father?
- What’s one special moment you spent with him?
- How long have you been married?
- How did you meet?
- What’s the one thing you do that drives her crazy?
- What’s the most romantic thing you’ve done for her?
The Off Duty Podcast VIP Membership:
My VIP membership is now live and ready for you to access! Enjoy 2 exclusive episode a month plus much more as a VIP. Also 10% of every VIP membership will be donated to the “First Responders Children Foundation”. Click here to get your VIP access
IG POST – Before and after pic of you right after the academy and now:
“I really hope that my posts serve as a motivation or reminder that you can create the body you want!
Left: Academy graduation 175 pounds
Right: currently 219 pounds with less fat
What you don't see is me at 225 pounds with extremely high fat and out of shape around 2020 (scroll down for pic). This journey hasn't been perfect, nor has it been ideal. 12 hour shifts, constantly eating out, lack of sleep makes it almost impossible to make gains.
To top it off everyone and their mom will have an opinion on what your doing and like the crab in a trap story, (look it up) will try to pull you down to their level. Screw that, be proud of yourself.”
- Where were you at mentally about how you looked and felt at 225?
- Do you remember the moment you said enough is enough?
- Describe your life journey up to this point?
- What do you see taking place on the journey from this point forward?
- Elaborate on the last part of that post, what were some of the opinions you received?
- What part of this journey are you most proud of?
[41:50] Random Seven – These are seven, totally random questions that I asked Travis. And they're all electronically created.
- If you could only speak one word today, what would you say?
- Have you ever cried at a movie?
- What do you get every time you go grocery shopping?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Would you choose to know your future if it meant forgetting your past?
- WYR wake up every morning and think you’re a different person or wake up every day in a strange location?
- What’s the disadvantage of playing things safe?
[50:14] Flip the Script – This is where the guest, gets to ask you the listener a question. And Travis's question is: To answer Travis's question, please leave a comment down below.
“Is proactive policing dead?”
[51:06] This or That – This is my rapid fire round, where I give the guest two choices and they have to chose one without giving too much thought.