EP 51 – This Job Ain’t For Feelings – Sgt. Mitch Hamilton
Sgt. Mitch Hamilton is someone that I've been following on Instagram for a while, I even gave him the, “Shout out of the day” on my IG profile. So it was a no brainer to reach out and invite him onto the podcast.
The one thing I got from my conversation with Mitch is that, this young man is a leader, he leads by example. He's out there doing what this podcast is all about, “Humanizing the badge”.
Mitch is also one of those people that I would say the phrase, “don't judge a book by the cover” would apply to. I never would have imagined him, to be the introverted one, who likes to take vacations allow.
FACTS ABOUT SGT. MITCH HAMILTON
- 4 Years in Law Enforcement
- Lives in Illinois
- Loves to go fast
- Enjoys Tacos, Pizza, Donuts and baseball
FOLLOW SGT. MITCH HAMILTON
- Instagram @def_not_a_cop
01:14 Lead Off Question: “Why Law Enforcement?” Sgt. Mitch Hamilton talks about hearing his grandfather, who was a police officer talk about the job.
And how cool he thought it was to hear all of the stories that only a certain people got to hear, made him want to follow his grandfather into the profession.
08:22 Dig Deeper: This is the part of the podcast were I dig into the guest's social media and I craft questions around 3-5 of those posts. Below are the post and questions I spoke with Sgt. Hamilton about.
POST – Selfie of you in Adidas hat and mask:
“I think @adidas should sponsor me, even though I’m not an athlete anymore 😂. Doubt they’d sponsor a cop… but then again… I’m def not a cop” 🤫 😎
- What sports did you play?
- Is there a meaning behind that?
POST – Selfie you in your patrol car:
Regardless of what’s going on in the world, this is still the best job ever! I wouldn’t have chosen a different career path even if I could. #IGY6
- How have you been holding up through everything that’s been going on the past year and half?
- Do you have someone you can talk to when you get a little overwhelmed?
- If your son or daughter wanted to become a cop what would you tell them?
GET $100 RESTAURANT VOUCHER:
Complete my 5 question survey on law enforcement and stress and I'll send you a $100 restaurant voucher. You can use at over 55,000 restaurants across the USA. CLICK HERE
POST – A series of pics someone took of you while you were working and posted them on FB:
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.” -Gandhi”
A guy stopped me today and said, “You drive squad ____?” I said yeah. He said, “I put you on fb live and took some pictures to show that not all cops are bad. I saw you showing that guy how to change his tire.”
I don’t post things for recognition. However, I will post this to show that policing is more than handling domestics, thieves, robbers, speeders, murderers, etc. Its about helping & assisting anybody at any given moment.
This gentleman in the photo approached me at the gas station to ask if i had a lug wrench. I didn’t, so I drove him to the auto store to buy one and then back to his car. He said he never was taught how to change his wheel, so I demonstrated and walked him through changing it.
- No question, just want to say hat off to you for going the extra mile.
- Every encounter leaves an impression, rather good or bad.
22:04 Random Seven – These are the seven random questions that I asked Mitch. These questions are random and electronically created.
- If you could be any animal other than human what would you be and why?
- If you could undo one moment in your life what would be?
- What do you think is the best movie of all time?
- What are your 3 favorite purchases you’ve made this year?
- What’s your favorite phone app?
- What’s your morning routine?
- If you won the lottery, what in your life would not change?
37:04 This or That – This is my version of a speed round.
- Skydiving or bungee jumping
- Sunrise or sunset
- Modest or risque
- Extroverted or introverted
- Mustard or mayo
- Tacos: soft or crunchy
- Ford or chevy
- Pizza: deep dish or thin crust
- Donuts: glazed or jelly filled
- Play it safe or roll the dice